The Mobile Web: Exploring the Internet on Your Mobile Device
By Elise Moreau, About.com Guide
Accessing the web from a mobile device is not as uncommon as it once was years ago. Smartphones and tablet computers have never been more popular than they are today, and with 3G and 4G networks people can use these gadgets to stay connected, consume information and entertain themselves on the go.
Moving from a desktop computer or laptop to web surfing on an Android smartphone or iPad tablet computer isn’t always the most intuitive experience for everyone. Whether you’re looking for the best mobile web browsers, social media apps or location-based services -- About.com can help you understand how to use them properly.
- Moving from Traditional Web Browsing to Mobile Web Browsing
- Taking Social Network Activity to Your Mobile Device
- Using Mobile Web Apps for Everything from Photos to Fitness
- Discovering Location-based Apps
- Listening to Music with Music Streaming Apps
- Working with Cloud-based Storage Apps
Moving from Traditional Web Browsing to Mobile Web Browsing
It’s important to understand that web browsing on a mobile device can differ significantly from web browsing on a regular computer. Take the time to read over the following introductory articles so you can get familiar with mobile web browsing.
- Top Mobile Browsers for Better Web Browsing
- The Mobile Web vs. Mobile Apps
- 10 Trendy Mobile Web Apps for iPhone and Android
- 8 Essential Google Mobile Apps
- 5 WordPress Mobile Themes to Optimize Your Site for Mobile Devices
- Holiday Shopping Apps for iPhone and Android
Taking Social Network Activity to Your Mobile Device
Social media activity on mobile devices has skyrocketed over the past few years. It’s easier than ever to socialize on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Tumblr, Foursquare and other social networks from a smartphone or tablet computer. Have you heard of some of the newer ones mentioned below?
- What is Facebook Camera?
- What is Snapchat?
- What is Vine?
- What is Cinemagram?
- What is Pheed?
- What is Keek?
- What is Flipboard?
- What is Path?
- What is Socialcam?
- What is Viddy?
- What is Everyme?
- What is Pair?
- What is Kik?
- What is Draw Something?
- YouTube App for iOS
- Instagram for iOS
- Instagram for Android
Using Mobile Web Apps for Everything from Photos to Fitness
The mobile web isn't just for social networking. There are all sorts of different apps that can help you in almost any aspect of your life. All you have to do is download it (for free or for a small fee) and start using it. Here are some that we recommend.
- 6 Free Diet & Fitness Apps for iPhone
- 10 of the Most Expensive Apps You Can Find On iTunes
- 10 Trendy Apps for Students
- 9 Alternative Apps to Instagram
- Top 10 Free Photo Apps for Android
- Top 10 Free Photo Apps for iPhone
- 8 Free GIF Maker Apps for iPhone and Android
Discovering Location-based Apps
The rise of the mobile web has led to more apps being created to make use of your geographic location. Location sharing has actually become a pretty basic feature for most social networking apps, and as more people go mobile, location data becomes more relevant for providing you with the best information about where you are.
- Taking Care of Your Foursquare Privacy Settings
- 10 of the Best Places to Visit on Google Street View
- What is Highlight?
- What is Uber?
Listening to Music with Music Streaming Apps
With the magic of cloud computing, you can now listen to music from your phone or iPod without ever needing to download a single song to your device. There are lots of options out there, some free and some for a premium subscription fee. Check out some of the popular services we like the best.
Working with Cloud-based Storage Apps
For the tech savvy individual who has more than one computer and at least one other mobile device, like a smartphone or a tablet computer, cloud apps are the ultimate solution. By signing up for a cloud storage service and downloading the appropriate apps to your devices, you'll be able to access any files from any one of your machines. It's that simple.