Friday March 7, 2014
Remember back when Vine first came out and everything was porn? Well, the Twitter-owned mobile video service has just made an update to its terms stating that sexually explicit content is now prohibited.
In other words, Vine's porn days are pretty much now over. Vine previously dealt with NSFW content by providing users with an option to report videos that viewers thought might be inappropriate, which would trigger an initial warning message to anyone else who tried to watch the reported video.
For more than 99 percent of our users, this doesn't really change anything," Vine explained in a blog post. "For the rest: we don't have a problem with explicit sexual content on the Internet -- we just prefer not to be the source of it."
If you're wondering exactly what might or might not be classified as "sexually explicit content" on Vine, check out this FAQ article for more clarification.
Photo © Vine Labs, Inc.
Thursday March 6, 2014
When it comes to consuming media on a smartphone or tablet, would you say you spend more time using mobile apps that you've downloaded already, or more time browsing the mobile web? Read this if you're not quite clear on what the difference is.
According to a new cross-platform report published by Nielsen, 89 percent of our time is spent consuming mobile media through mobile apps. The other 11 percent is spent consuming media via the mobile web. Mobile apps are the clear winner here.
What's possibly more shocking is that the average U.S. adult spends about 33 to 35 hours a month using a combination of both mobile apps and the mobile web, depending on whether you're male or female. The stats in this particular study suggest that women generally spend up to a whole hour-and-half longer using mobile apps than men do.
It's obvious that mobile apps are the popular choice right now, but throwing thousands of dollars at an app developer for a professionally made, custom built native app is not always the most suitable option for business owners. Check out these 5 Mobile WordPress Themes for a quick and simple option to instantly optimize the layout of your website or blog when visitors are viewing it from a mobile device.
Photo © Jorg Greuel / Getty Images
Monday March 3, 2014
Twitter and live television are like peanut butter and jelly: everyone can pretty much agree that they just sort of belong together.
If you tuned in to Sunday night's 86th Annual Academy Awards to watch Ellen DeGeneres host the show, you probably watched her tweet that first #blurry selfie in the first hour. But it hardly compared to the group selfie she snapped later on during the snow, which featured some of the biggest celebs in Hollywood -- from Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts to Kevin Spacey and Brad Pitt.
Ellen's award-worthy selfie racked up over 450,000 retweets on Twitter within the hour after she tweeted it, eventually making its way to surpass Barack Obama's most-retweeted tweet of November 2012, which currently has about 780,000 retweets. Her star-studded selfie has now been retweeted more than 2.5 million times.
In the short moments after Ellen posted the selfie, the quick surge in user reaction and activity actually sent the whole site down for a little bit. "We crashed and broke Twitter," she announced during the show. "We made history."
And if you loved the selfie as much as the entire Internet did, you'll probably also love this an epic photobomb by Benedict Cumberbatch standing behind U2, which was just one of the other many photos that went unsurprisingly viral during the show last night.
Photo: Screenshot of Twitter.com
Friday February 28, 2014
There are a lot of great places all over the world that you can visit on Google Street View without ever needing to get on a plane and actually go there. A new location was just added to the list exciting places to view -- this time, featuring an endangered Arctic species in some of the imagery.
To celebrate International Polar Bear Day, Google headed north to Churchill, Manitoba near Hudson Bay in Canada -- also known as the polar bear capital of the world. The company used special vehicles with cameras mounted to them to navigate and capture the best tundra imagery for its Street View maps.
If you spend some time browsing through this newly added location on Street View, you should see be able to see spot a polar bear or two walking along the shorelines, hiding in the snow, sleeping and even interacting with the Polar Bear International team that helped Google out on its mission to map Churchill.
Google said that it hopes the new images help raise awareness about climate change and its impact on the wildlife, like the polar bear, that are a part of these northern regions. If you haven't checked it out yet, you can visit the polar bears right now on Google Street View.
Photo © Annie Katz / Getty Images