1. Computing

New Yahoo vs Classic Yahoo

By July 22, 2009

My first thought upon looking at the new Yahoo home page was "Ack!" While the new page has some nice features, it takes a step backward in ease-of-use and misses a huge opportunity to be an even better home page.

The biggest change to the new Yahoo is the dynamic "My Favorites" sidebar that allows you to customize your Yahoo experience. It's like a small dash of MyYahoo added to the main page. While the new home page ditches the personal assistant that allows quick access to Mail, Messenger, Puzzles, Weather, Events and Horoscopes, each of these can be added to the new sidebar for quick access.

Beyond that, the new sidebar can display Gmail and AOL mail, which is handy for people like me who use both Yahoo mail and Gmail as primary email accounts. Previously, I was forced to switch over to MyYahoo to check them on the same page. You can also get quick previews of many Yahoo sections, such as Good Morning Yahoo or Yahoo Music, and even add widgets that will preview the New York Times, Facebook, MySpace, and other popular destinations.

The one ding on the sidebar is the lack of tabs once you've added enough sections for it to need additional pages to display all of your goodies. Instead of easy-to-use tabs at the top, there are small page buttons at the bottom of the sidebar. They should have taken a page out of the MyYahoo playbook.

This dropped ball in the ease-of-use department also extends to the featured articles section of the home page. While the previous featured articles section had tabs across the top, allowing the reader to quickly target an area of news, the new featured articles section forces the reader to scroll through the sixteen different articles. They even fumble the ball by only providing small scrolling buttons below the featured article thumbnails rather than big buttons to each side of the thumbnails.

One nice addition is the ability to move the news snipped above the featured articles. But this small bit of customization simply demonstrates a huge lost opportunity of allowing readers to really customize their Yahoo experience. Instead of just allowing people to move the news snippet above the featured articles, they should be able to move the sections to any part of the page, and even replace individual sections with something entirely different similar to MyYahoo's customizable sections.

And speaking of MyYahoo, it would be nice to add MyYahoo tabs to the Yahoo sidebar. That addition alone would really make the new Yahoo stand out as a customizable experience that people can tailor to their own needs.

In the end, I think Yahoo is taking both step forward and a step backward. The new customizable sidebar is definitely an improvement, but the page's navigation stinks and the entire experience could be a lot more customizable.

The Top Personalized Home Pages
Comments
July 22, 2009 at 3:54 pm
(1) Jeremy says:

It is disappointing that Yahoo would make their homepage less user friendly. Let’s hope they improve it eventually. I’d personally like to see Yahoo & MSN catch up to Google a bit.

July 22, 2009 at 7:37 pm
(2) טכנאי מחשבים says:

i think the new yahoo page is much better.

July 23, 2009 at 3:52 am
(3) Sera says:

Hi Daniel,

Have you checked this new thing about yahoo redesigning their site to incorporate Facebook into the homepage?

The Facebookization Of Yahoo!

August 24, 2009 at 7:41 am
(4) Chip says:

I found the best feature on the new yahoo page! return to classic yahoo.

September 19, 2009 at 11:38 am
(5) MIKE MOONEY says:

i hate the change

October 7, 2009 at 3:56 pm
(6) Enrico Pallazzo says:

I agree with CHIP – the new Yahoo both sucks and blows.

October 17, 2009 at 10:16 am
(7) Trish says:

Yahoo has been my preference for many years though; this new home page that has been popping up for months is TERRIBLE. First – these new features are geared to single users and most home family computers all have a general home page so, these so called good features are only good if each user is logged in. Hello, my children are not having separate log-in for years to come so, the personal assistant is a plus to family or share stations. I don’t understand why one would think Popular Searches is what one wants to see when they log onto their home page. So, to me stop forcing this terrible change on us – give people the option instead of making them work to get off of the new page. As other say, if this continues much longer – my yahoo (paid) mail account and all is being switched. It is too frustrating with to bother with each day. Since they have been getting these complaints for over 6 months now, you think they would LISTEN. I do not understand why a GREAT and POPULAR home page would make such dramatic changes and continually push them on people when they must be hearing all the negative feedback. Plus, they are not taking in the account the number of ‘group – family – shared’ stations that use Yahoo as home page. Thanks for giving me a place to vent. I have only had to do the revert back (clean cookies/history/temp files) about once a week this last month so, I was feeling better until the last 48 hours it has been every log on. My renewal on Mail Plus is next month – NOT.

October 24, 2009 at 1:36 am
(8) Gihu says:

I wrote to Yahoo about this new page, assuming this was a fake site. I received an answer saying that Yahoo is testing a new page. I wrote back saying, this new page is headache and that I don’t need it. But still I get the buullsheet. I am going to cancel my MailPlus and domains registered with them. Google vs Yahoo? who will win the race??

October 25, 2009 at 7:58 pm
(9) bob says:

I tend to agree with Gihu’s above comment and would like to thoughfully add this comment concerning Yahoo’s new web page: Fuck Yahoo in the heart!

October 27, 2009 at 7:46 am
(10) Chip says:

There is a banner at the top of classic yahoo today that reads, yahoo classic will be replaced 11 Nov. downgrade now. So long yahoo looks like google will win.

October 27, 2009 at 1:28 pm
(11) Tony says:

I hate the new page.I’ve been sending feedback as well for months to at least give us the old classic option.If they don’t I’m getting Gmail and reluctantly having google as my home page!

November 9, 2009 at 6:00 am
(12) Toffoletti says:

I do hate the change. For more than eight years I did love yahoo, but now I hate it. A change must always be better, and the new yahoo isn’t.
If you write to yahoo’s customers’ service, you get an “automatic answer”, the guys don’t care of your opinion. Like in a bad army, with bad officers and a bad purpose…
So I believe, our best answer can be that we leave yahoo and go for instance to gmx or Gmail. Then yahoo will be enforced into recovering the classic version. Or it will die. Anyway, SO LONG YAHOO.

November 12, 2009 at 2:07 pm
(13) Evans says:

The 2009 new home page is complete rubbish. Their two major changes are also their worst changes — the sidebar/flyout and the scrolling news.

The flyout shows me a giant advertisement and a miniature view of the target website. Why would I EVER choose to use that? (I can’t believe the author actually likes it.)

Scrolling through the top stories takes waaaaay too long, and the stories aren’t even lumped into categories such as sports, entertainment, etc. Horrible.

The redesign is a complete disaster, in my opinion. It’s so bad that I’m now shopping for a new home page. When a redesign causes you to lose mind share, it can only be considered a failure.

Case in point: Earlier this year, Tropicana (orange juice) redesigned their box to remove the iconic orange with a straw in it. Their sales dropped by 20-30% in the months after the redesign. They wisely went back to the old design as quickly as possible. Take that as a not so subtle hint, Yahoo!

November 13, 2009 at 2:50 am
(14) Jimmy HATES Yahoo says:

Since the new crappy page became permanent on November 11th, here’s what you can do:

Found a link where we can give feedback to those morons at Yahoo. It’s a direct feedback link for the “team who created the new Yahoo! homepage.” Let’s tell them it sucks ass.

Please spread around.

LET’S GET THE OLD YAHOO BACK!

November 13, 2009 at 4:55 pm
(15) kel says:

IN SHORT…..NEW HOME PAGE, JUST SUCKS!!!!

November 13, 2009 at 11:11 pm
(16) The One says:

The new Yahoo page is boring, no pizz-sas. The old classic Yahoo page was a million times better and nicer to look at. It made you want to stay there, but not now. I switched off of the new Yahoo the day it changed. Very disappointed with them it looks teerible!!!!

November 13, 2009 at 11:18 pm
(17) The One says:

“Jimmy Hates” I wrote to Yahoo, you can find it at the bottom of there homepage where it say’s feedback. It doesn’t hurt to try but I switched and I won’t go back every again unless it’s the Yahoo classic page which was a really nice homepage. This one is drap, boring, lifeless and yes, suck’s big time. Good luck to them.
I changed that day, November 11th. Good luck in them making the change, fight on!!!!!

November 16, 2009 at 1:31 pm
(18) Donna says:

I wonder if you did a system restore , before the switch will that work and just copy and paste that link.

I know a stupid question, but does anyone think that might work. since it on our computer.

November 17, 2009 at 2:25 pm
(19) donna says:

Okay I am the one posted above this, this is what i done, i went to my yahoo e-mail clicked on my yahoo in the upper right hand corner.

then i c/p that link it pasted where your suppose to granted it not the same but alot better then the new one.

give it a try and see what you think.

November 28, 2009 at 12:54 am
(20) Rob says:

Man this is really irritating.. I’m glad at least they gave somebody *some* warning about the Nov 11 pull, I however didn’t realize we were going to be forced off classic yahoo until after it happened. I thought when we were given the choice of which page we wanted to see, we were actually being given the choice of which page we wanted to see. silly me…

December 15, 2009 at 5:35 pm
(21) Rich says:

yahoo just sucks. if you have to have a crummy start page, I think iGoogle beats the new yahoo. I really liked the old yahoo and used it for years. The only thing yahoo has left for me is my legacy “throw down” email address and some fantasy football league (which is changing next season). I used to like the news feeds on the main page, but I can’t stand the “2.0″ style crap that is outdated and useless as they released it.

December 25, 2009 at 4:20 pm
(22) bobby says:

Yahoo’s new page is a disaster the only good page they every had was the folder version of old. Igoogle is the way to go now.

January 29, 2010 at 11:30 pm
(23) abraham says:

I really dislike the new yahoo homepage it is annoying and has too much pop up windows on it and the purple colors in it suck really hard

April 27, 2010 at 10:39 pm
(24) buster says:

your new yahoo page stinks go back to yahoo classic i like it better who ever made this new yahoo page needs to find a new line of work

June 15, 2010 at 1:14 pm
(25) kenneth d,martin says:

i wont my old yahoo.com home page back as i am 85 years old and sort of set in my ways i donot wunt t changs anything now or in the future.give me back my old yahoo homepage, please

July 23, 2010 at 6:34 am
(26) P Shields says:

For less adept users, Yahoo has become more complicated, less friendly and less user friendly. I have been trying to contact customer support and keep getting pages that ask me about everything but what I need. Where is the help, the support for other????