1. Computing
Elise Moreau

Hotmail is Officially Dead

By February 19, 2013

Last summer, Microsoft launched a new webmail service in an effort to revive and rebrand the Hotmail name. It's called Outlook.

People scurried to sign up and seemed to be pretty impressed with how well Outlook measured up against Google's almighty Gmail. Now, Microsoft is getting ready to migrate all 60 million current Hotmail users to Outlook over the next six months.

The transfer will also include any email address with MSN.com or Live.com. All of your account settings, folders, mail and contacts will be transferred automatically. If you'd like to know more, you can check out the info and watch some of the videos included with Microsoft's blog post announcement.

For many, Hotmail was the first service they used to first experience the magic of email. For me personally, it will forever be remembered for its crazy bad forwarded chain letters and for all the hours in high school/university I used to waste on MSN Messenger.

R.I.P. Hotmail. You were pretty awesome.

Photo © iStockphoto.com

Connect With About Web Trends:
Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Newsletter
Comments
February 20, 2013 at 4:54 pm
(1) Lee says:

I tried ‘upgrading’ to Outlook a few months ago – and one month was all I could stomach.

Sure, it had some nice ideas, but it was so SLOW I could hear whole colonies of snails begging it to keep up!

Basically, every time I changed folders, it would take 10-to-20 SECONDS to stabilise enough for me to do anything. So if I just needed a quick glance at any new emails in a folder (or I happened to select the wrong one), I’d end up wasting a LOT of time before I could get back to what I was doing.

I, for one, am not looking forward to being forced to use something that’s already left such a bad taste in my mouth.

(And don’t get me started on the shift from Messenger to Skype!)

February 20, 2013 at 5:57 pm
(2) Winterhart says:

Ditto.

I don’t use the Microsoft messenger, but I do have a signon for it. I’m not creating yet another Skype account, for a service I barely use. Skype is slow as molasses too.

February 20, 2013 at 8:28 pm
(3) Colane says:

Why go with just another Microsoft failure when gmail does give you everything you need, and with speed and security!!! And, yes, SKYPE is s-l-o-w!!! I have switched to ooVoo and it is 100% better — can talk to and see 12 people at a time, and all for FREE!!!

February 20, 2013 at 10:40 pm
(4) Roy Morien says:

I don’t understand the comments about how bad it is. I can’t call myself a great techie or techie nerd or whatever it means to be very tech savvy, but I changed over from Hotmail to Outlook some months ago, and I found it to be a very simple thing t do. No fuss, no problem, a few minutes only and done!
I have found using Outlook to be quite straight forward, with a few little ‘getting to know you’ problems. As I remember I found it a bit hard to work out how to CC: and BCC:, and how to search my emails … but I’m not sure because I seemed to have so little difficulty in using Outlook that it is hard to remember the trivial problems.
Using Outlook on Windows 8 is a very nice experience too.

February 21, 2013 at 1:35 am
(5) Russ says:

I get my Hotmail using the Outlook Email Client. Will I be able to get outlook.com email using Outlook? It seems a bit ridiculous if I cannot.

February 21, 2013 at 10:20 am
(6) Linda says:

I tried Outlook but didn’t like it. I prefer the Hotmail features. Hotmail I think is much better.

February 21, 2013 at 11:44 pm
(7) Christina says:

I think the writer could be edited their work. I believe it was meant to say “ready to migrate” not “read”. Most electronic devices have spell check, though, often they do not include “grammar check”.

February 21, 2013 at 11:52 pm
(8) Christina says:

Okay, I should have read further.. What does this:”The transfer will also any email”, mean? Dear Bloggers, Please self edit! Finally, the RIP message should not be two separate thoughts. Alright, I’m finished being critical.

February 24, 2013 at 7:24 am
(9) Michael Waldron says:

I’ve also been “upgraded” by Micro$oft to Outlook TWICE and immediately changed back to the familiar useful Hotmail interface.When Hotmail is finally killed off I’ll either go back to using an email client or switch to Gmail. I WILL NOT use Outlook.
I hope that someone from MSis monitoring/reading these comments, maybe, just maybe they’ll take notice if customer opinions!!

February 26, 2013 at 5:29 am
(10) Subrata Chakraborty says:

My first opening account of email was Hotmail, Because it was so simple to use with my mobile hand set. Gmail was not simple for my mobile set, Yahoo was simple for my Sony Ericsson set so I am still using (till yesterday) Yahoo. But now a days yahoo is going down due to many reasons. During three months I am testing what is better to use for me and I found out the name, Hotmail, so I have returned back to Hotmail and it is updated with a click. And really till now it is faster easier and lighter or greater, Why not that is from Microsoft, and they are investing lot of money to be improved and best.

March 2, 2013 at 6:15 pm
(11) Ike Nash says:

I have used Hotmail for about10 or 1`5 years now and have never had any problems with it. It was always plenty fast, easy to use, and always did everything I asked it to do. I have reccommended it to well over 100 customkers and I am asure many oif them used it too.
I switched one of my accounts to Outlook andf was soon sorry I did. It was slow and cumberesome and hard to use and I soon switched back to Hotmail.never thinking you would be stupid enough to stop Hotmail. Why is it when someone has a superior product they think they have to change it and wind up screwing everything up. Did you hire the jackasses that screwed up Coke a few years ago and almost bankrupted the company with their “new coke” I guess I will have to look into Firefox and Gmail along with thousands that want Hotmail to live on.

March 19, 2013 at 2:45 am
(12) Joe B says:

As of tonight Outlook will not let me switch back to hotmail.
Enough with Microsoft’s ham-fisted approach to this. On their feedback page it says “If itís okay for Microsoft to contact you about your comment, please provide a contact email address.” Then when you submit feedback it says, “Although we canít directly respond to your feedback, weíll use it to improve Outlook. Note that we can’t respond directly to comments and suggestions left here.”

Moronic jokers. I just switched to gmail.

April 3, 2013 at 9:17 pm
(13) Fabiana says:

Regarding the AWFUL Outlook interface, sign petition on Change.org to ask Microsoft to change the Outlook interface with the Hotmail look at feel. Link is https://www.change.org/petitions/microsoft-stop-forcing-hotmail-users-to-upgrade-to-outlook#share

April 12, 2013 at 9:44 pm
(14) Linda says:

I don’t get it: so from now on we have to log in with outlook.com, instead of hotmail, or live. com? how does that work? is it just a name change? are we getting the same amount of storage? are we losing our mails in the folders at hotmail.com? Please clarify for me, someone?

May 3, 2013 at 7:01 am
(15) Madge Almo says:

I have been using Hotmail for YEARS. It was always fast, efficient and very easy to use. Tried Outlook when it first came out and found it to be another New Coke. Hotmail was NOT BROKEN, why did you change it? Someone trying to justify their paycheck?