One of the coolest things about the iPhone and the iPod Touch are all the great apps available through the app store, many of which are absolutely free. These apps turn the iPhone into more than just a phone and the iPod Touch into more than just a music player. If you just got your iPhone or iPod Touch, you might be a little dazzled on the sheer number of choices available to you.
Obviously, you are going to want the Google app and the Facebook app, but what else? Here's a few 'must have' web apps that cover music, movies, books and even news.
- Pandora. The Pandora allows you to create your own radio station by picking out a musical group or song and letting Pandora link it to similar music. This is app is great if you are bored of your current playlists and are on the lookout for some new music as it uses an extensive database to find related music.
- Flixster. If you love movies, then you must download Flixster. Not only does it put a wealth of information in your hands from theater locations and movie start times to trailers and reviews, it also interfaces with your Facebook account and lets you know what your friends thought of a movie.
- TV.com. YouTube is great, but if you want full episodes of streaming video, the TV.com app is your best bet. While it mainly just has CBS and Showtime shows on it, that does (surprisingly) give you some of the best stuff on TV including Dexter, How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory.
- Urbanspoon. Ever fall into that "What do you want to eat?" loop where no one in the household can make a decision? Urbanspoon is your ticket out of that dilemma. It'll pick out a random restaurant in your area for you, and you can even have it choose a random Italian or sushi restaurant.
- Stanza. Okay, this one isn't actually linked directly to a specific website, but it does give you a portal into a number of different eBook stores including Fictionwise, which is perhaps the biggest eBook store. You'll also get access to a lot of free eBooks from Project Gutenberg and Feedbooks. Many of the stores also let you read reviews from GoodReads.
- AP Mobile News. There are a number of great apps to get your news fix from the New York Times to USA Today to ABC news to the Chicago Tribune, but if you are like me and prefer to read straight off the AP wire, this is a great free iPhone app. Not only will you get the AP wire, but you'll also get access to photos and video.
And there is more good news on the way. Om Malik is reporting that Skype for the iPhone might be released as soon as next week.
Best iPhone Apps for...