Less than a year after it became the social networking king in worldwide traffic, Facebook has surpassed MySpace in U.S. traffic. In a huge surge of traffic over the past two months, Facebook even beat my prediction by several months.
The statistics released by Compete.com also show a huge gain by Twitter, the micro-blogging site going from 22nd on the list to 3rd with over 54 million visits in January. But the surprise move was made by movie social networking site Flixster, who went from 16th to 4rth with 53 million visits. Not quite as big a jump as Twitter, but then again, everyone knew Twitter was a fast-rising star.
Here's the top 5 social networks for January 2009:
- Facebook with over 1.19 billion monthly visits
- MySpace with over 810 million monthly visits
- Twitter with over 54 million monthly visits
- Flixster with over 53 million monthly visits
- LinkedIn with over 42 million monhtly visits
Want to see the full list of top 25 social networks? Check out the Compete.com blog.